Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Awareness and Accountability

I went to a Narcotics Anonymous meeting yesterday and received my one-year keychain. I have been clean from drugs over one year now. This is a great time. It is also a dangerous time. Too much self-congratulation can be hazardous to one's sobriety. I almost had a relapse on my trip to Maine, but I told my friends I was an addict, and they kept me away from using. I try to remain humble, vigilant, and aware. I have to take stock of my situation every day, or I risk slipping back into old behaviors. I find the HALT system works well for me; I am constantly checking to see if I feel Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. These are the basic triggers for a relapse. The other triggers usually come from these four feelings. I am optimistic about my future for the first time in years. I now have the tools to stay clean. I just have to keep using them. Also, writing in this blog helps me. By putting it out there in writing, it makes it easier for me to be accountable to myself and my readers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled on something that I thought was pretty cool that you might like .. you ought to check out Joel Osteen (http://www.joelosteen.com) if you haven't seen him already .. he's got a book that's on audio: "Your Best Life Now" (now .. now .. ) He's a pastor, but he's really good .. you don't have to believe everything he says, but his basic principles are very good I think .. I got the book on tape and have been listening to it allot .. it really has helped me rid myself of past aggrivations that were basically continuing to poison my soul to this day .. I've been allot happier since getting the tape program, and I rarely get as mad about things as I used to, in fact I don't think I have gotten pissed about anything since picking up his tapes .. as I mentioned, he's a strong Christian kind of guy, but I think you'll enjoy what he has to say .. I found his principals pretty universal, and I recommend his material to anyone having a hard time with anything anywhere .. (I bet you'd permanently lose your urge to get high anymore).. I'm sure the tape program is available at any Barnes and Noble or Borders in the books on audio section ..