Sunday, October 19, 2008

Weezer

I always liked the band Weezer. I just wasn't in love with them. Sure, their songs Buddy Holly, The Sweater Song, and Hash Pipe were pleasant enough, and Hash Pipe even rocks out, but I just wasn't enamored of Weezer's overall sound. Until last night. I saw Weezer live, for just six bucks after a discount, at the Arizona State Fair in Phoenix. Holy Shit! I have seen the light. I cried, I laughed, I sang along with 14,000 other Weezer devotees whom the band had eating out of their hands. These guys are fucking geniuses. They harmonize live like no one I have ever heard. They are like a combination of the Beach Boys, Beatles, and Hendrix. Oh, and Pink Floyd. Yeah. Weezer did a version of Floyd's Time from Dark Side of the Moon which made me think I'd just took a hit of acid. And I was totally sober. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Pop/rock perfection! I guess their recordings just didn't bring out to me what I heard live last night. Now they will. I am now a convert, after all these years. I will spread the gospel of Weezer. I just wish I had seen them live long before this. Times a wastin'... I must go out and buy their catalog now. Every single album...

No comments: