Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Fake China

My brother got back from China yesterday bearing gifts. He brought me some CDs (Rolling Stones, Beatles, and Pearl Jam) and DVDs (War of the Worlds, Capote, Munich, and the sixth-season Sopranos box set.) I was thrilled. He then asked me: "How much do you think I paid for all these?" I replied: "Oh, maybe, sixty dollars?", thinking stuff might be cheaper there due to the exchange rate. He then said: "Would you believe I paid less than thirty dollars U.S. for all this?" I couldn't believe it. This stuff in the U.S. would run well over a hundred bucks new. Then I thought a moment and realized they must be genuine imitation bootlegs! I looked closer on the labels and noticed the English was pretty bad. If these were authorized, they never would be so loose with the language. I know this stuff is technically illegal, but they sell it in legitimate stores in China. I was under the impression it was sold by street vendors and out of car trunks! The counterfeit problem in Asia is HUGE. I'm surprised he got through customs with these.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard that like basically all of Asia has pirated microsoft products on their computers ... goot thing we're here to give them someone to rip off ....